Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What our children teach us......

A situation happen yesterday that got me thinking how much we learn from our children. A mom of my daughter's friend called me asking questions about something that came up. Something happened at recess that left her daughter sad thinking she was being left out.  My daughter commented something to her that she needed to go since what they were going to talk about would hurt her feelings.  Well my first thought was, WHAT!!  Thinking my daughter was being "one of those girls" and then I thought, that just doesn't sound right.  As we talked it came up who was all in the group and I remembered one of the girls was having a birthday and I bet they were planning it and talking about it.  Since this friend didn't run with the group of friends for as long, she wasn't on this invite list to the overnight birthday party.  My daughter although being thoughtful, wasn't thinking about how this would be taken, because now this friend assumed they were talking "ABOUT" her :(  Well I'm glad we got down to it and when I asked her in the morning if she recalled saying that to anyone she started talking about how she didn't want her friend to be upset not going to the party.  I told her a better way to handle it the next time and how she needs to trust this friend can handle knowing others have a life that may not include her sometimes.  I have tried to let my daughter know she won't always be invited to everything and it's OK.  She has friends from her first daycare and they are still friends, and I think always will be. They all met in the infant room and have been BFFs since. They all go to different schools now, but pick up right where they left off.  She said she would talk to the friend and let her know she didn't want to hurt her feelings because she "IS" a good friend.

As I talked with her about this and how she "should" have handled it, it makes me as the mom start to think.....do I walk the same as I talk?  Do I feel OK when I'm not invited?  I think it is human nature to feel left out of the crowd at times.  I have many friends, yes some are closer to me than others but my heart holds a special place with each of them.  I may spend more time with some, but others we pick up where we leave off.  Some are friends I have made through my children, others through work, and some I have found along my way.  I think I can honestly say sometimes I have done what my daughter did and left some out of my life for some reason.  I think my church family was overlooked for years since I was worried people might think I would preach to them and make them come to church.  I am sure also I don't talk to my church friends about some of my "other" friends, lol......I won't name any names ladies :)  I think this is life and I know I would like to do as I say to my daughter as well.  It always comes round circle, as we teach our children it confirms your beliefs and makes you stronger in this life.  It makes me think of my parents and I do hope they feel they too have learned from their children since they are the strongest people I know.

Here are a couple things that came to mind thinking on this topic of friends, ENJOY!!

This is the song from one of my daughter's daycare songs she performed with her friends in PreK:

Make new friends, but keep the old.
One is silver, the other is gold.
A circle is round, it has no end.
That's how long, I will be your friend.

I do hope as the years go, she remembers this little song.  

I had a similar one that I bought from Home Interiors many many moons ago for my BFF, it said:

Whether by
strange coincidence
or divine guidance
in the course of our life
we cross paths with
many people.

Some move towards us,
others move away.
Some we choose to remember,
others to forget.

But with a special few
we seem to have no choice,
for each has made an impact
on the other, and their
memory will live on forever.

These people we call friends.
You, to me, are such a one.
– Dick Innes
Wow this one hits home every time I see it, since I now have it hanging in my house and the memory of my friend Becky will live on forever in my heart <3   1974-2003  

These friendships they make today can last a lifetime, it did for me......

No comments:

Post a Comment